A remodelled junction in a key network location to provide improved access into the City Centre for people walking and cycling, enhanced bus priority and better traffic flows.
- Improve connectivity for people walking and cycling from Southampton
Central Station into the City Centre and onto St Mary’s football stadium
- Improve facilities for people walking and cycling across the whole junction
- Enhance bus priority and traffic flows through upgraded smart signal technology.
Benefits of the improvements
- Upgraded smart signal technology across all the whole junction to improve general traffic flow and provide priority for buses and people walking and cycling through low level signals, advanced stop lines and better detection
- Improved pedestrian and cycle provision with crossings designed to be shorter, more direct and safer to use
- New cycle lane on Havelock Road (northbound) to encourage cycling and provide a cycle route to the north forecourt of Southampton Central Station.
Civic Centre Road and Havelock Road Junction is a large, signalised junction to the immediate southwest of the Civic Centre. The following improvements are proposed:
Civic Centre Road/Havelock Road Junction
- Upgraded pedestrian and cycle crossing on Havelock Road arm from
Kingsbridge Lane towards Civic Centre Road removing the current
three-staged crossing. This will provide a direct and convenient link for
people walking and cycling from the station to the Civic Centre through to
Above Bar and the parks
- Upgraded pedestrian and cycle crossings to the western arm of Civic Centre Road
- Upgraded signal technology improving junction efficiency and providing bus priority
- Havelock Road on-road cycle lane with light segregation
- Changes to lane arrangements directing traffic between Havelock Road and Civic Centre Road, reducing traffic on New Road.
Civic Centre Road/Portland Terrace Junction
- Creation of segregated cycle lanes on Portland Terrace to the crossing
linking The Marlands Shopping Centre and Asda
- Signal technology upgrade to the crossing linking The Marlands
Shopping Centre and Asda
- Improvements to crossings across Civic Centre Road at the traffic signals
- Upgraded signal technology improving junction efficiency and providing