This proposed scheme would deliver targeted measures to create a continuous cycle corridor between Adanac Park, Lordshill District Centre, hospitals and the city centre. (See the below map for more details). These include:
- Upgrade to the existing off-road cycle route and wayfinding in Lordshill.
- Upgrade to the junction of Dale Road / Winchester Road / Wilton Road with segregated cycle facilities.
- School Streets scheme at Shirley Junior School.
- Changes to Hill Lane including cycle advance lights onwards links to the Common and Bedford Place via the temporary scheme
- Provide a safe route for key workers and visitors travelling to University Hospital Southampton.
- Create a coherent and safe cycle route along a heavily cycled section of Winchester Road.
- Provide safe routes to walk, cycle and scoot to schools in the Shirley area.
SCN4 Perception Survey
270 respondents answered questions about modes of travel they use in the area and what barriers there are that prevent them from using Active Travel. The survey was available from 18 February to 11 March 2021.
More respondents have access to or own a motor vehicle, in comparison to a bicycle.
On a daily basis, the mode of travel respondents most frequently is walking, with the least being public transport.
The majority of respondents use their main mode of travel for convenience, to save time or for enjoyment.