- Where: Bitterne Road East
- When: Design survey September 2023
- What: Improved facilities for people walking, wheeling and cycling along Bitterne Road East
- Why: To connect local communities with Bitterne Precinct, local schools and services
Southampton City Council has secured funding from the Government’s Active Travel Fund to improve the facilities for people walking, wheeling, and cycling along Bitterne Road East between Somerset Avenue and Bitterne Precinct. The scheme aims to provide an active travel option for local communities connecting them with Bitterne Precinct, local schools and services.
Previous survey results can be found through the tile opposite.
Last autumn, we asked for your feedback on the plans to improve the facilities for people walking, wheeling, and cycling along Bitterne Road East. Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to this consultation. We are in the process of reviewing the feedback received to inform the next stage of design.
The feedback can be reviewed in full here and in summary below.
Total number of responses: 268
The two proposed measures with the highest level of support were:
- New signalised pedestrian / cycle crossing over Bitterne Road East, close to the junction of Somerset Avenue (63%)
- Proposed upgrade to existing signalised crossing to toucan at Commercial Street and continuous crossing across Commercial Street to link to Bitterne Library (59%)
The two proposed measures with the highest level of disagreement were:
- Changes to the Bath Road junction (52%)
- Protected two-way on road cycle lane between Somerset Avenue and Bath Road (48%)
60% of respondents told us that the proposals may have a negative impact on motor vehicle journey times.
Over half of respondents (56%) also told us that the proposals may have positive impact on the safety of pedestrians travelling along and crossing roads on Bitterne Road East.
The consultation on the proposals outlines below has now closed. We will review all of the feedback received which will help to inform our plans for the area as these are finalised over the coming months.
- Proposed widening of path between Bitterne Road East and Somerset Avenue to make it ‘shared use’ for pedestrians and cycling.
- Proposed new signalised pedestrian / cycle crossing over Bitterne Road East, close to the junction of Somerset Avenue.
- Proposed protected two-way on road cycle lane between Somerset Avenue and Bath Road (this will mean the removal of the left turn and right turn lanes into Bath Road).
- Proposed protected two-way off carriageway cycle lane between Bath Road and Bitterne Road East access to Milbury Crescent (this will mean the existing footway along south side of Bitterne Road East will be removed).
- Proposed changes to the Bath Road junction to make it easier for pedestrians to cross Bath Road with a new continuous crossing.
- Proposed improvements to alternative pedestrian route on the Bitterne Road East service road (between Bath Road and Milbury Crescent).
- Proposed upgrade to existing signalised crossing on Bitterne Road East to toucan (for pedestrians and cycles) at Commercial Street and continuous crossing across Commercial Street to link to Bitterne Library.
- Proposed widening of path to shared use to Bitterne Precinct and continuous cycle crossing of Bitterne Road East Service Road.