- Where: The Avenue and Bassett Avenue up to Winchester Road Roundabout
- When: 17 August, then 19 August for up to 3 nights
- What: Removing temporary cycle lanes
- Why: Cycle routes will use alternative quietways
The Avenue has undergone further improvements to enhance walking and cycling provision and support safer, more sustainable journeys in the local area. The works included making the temporary cycle lanes along The Avenue permanent between Winn Road and the subway underpass on The Common, linking into possible ‘quietways’ enabling cyclists to travel on parallel routes. More details about this can be found here.
As part of these changes, we removed the current temporary cycle lanes between the subway underpass on The Common (see map) and Winchester Road. These lanes were installed during significantly lower traffic levels as a result of the national Covid-19 lockdowns. With traffic levels having now increased, the council took the decision to withdraw a section of the scheme while continuing to invest in wider walking and cycling facilities on and around the corridor.
Works were carried out overnight in the following phases:
- Phase 1: Overnight Tuesday 17 August: Removal of the cycle lane lining on The Avenue between the bus stops north of Highfield Road and Burgess Road.
- Phase 2: Overnight from Thursday 19 August: Removal of the cycle lanes and the blacking out of the previous lining along Bassett Avenue between Burgess Road and Winchester Road.
- Phase 3: Overnight from Friday 20 August for up to two nights (weather permitting): Relining Bassett Avenue between Burgess Road and Winchester Road including the refreshing of lining at the junctions.
The banned right turn for northbound traffic on The Avenue into Burgess Road eastbound has also been reinstated.
For more information including updates on The Avenue phase 4 works which this is a part of, click here. For up to the minute travel information in the city, follow us on Twitter @SCChighways.