- Where: Redbridge Roundabout and the M271
- When: May 2019 - Spring 2020
- What: Widening of the roundabout, fourth lane added on the southern side
- Why: Enhance journey times, provide facilities for walking and cycling and improve access to the Port of Southampton
There are two sets of weekend closures coming up:
- Friday 21st February 9pm – Sunday 23rd February 6am: the north-eastern section of the roundabout will be closed whilst Highways England install a new footbridge. Clearly marked diversions will be in place
- Friday 28th February 9pm – Sunday 1st March 6am: the north-eastern section of the roundabout will be closed. Clearly marked diversions will be in place.
You may be aware that a gas main was hit close to the end of Old Redbridge Road. Regrettably, this has meant that vehicle access to and from Old Redbridge Road is currently unavailable. Pedestrian routes are still available and business access remains unaffected at this time.
Along with partners, Highways England are currently working hard to open the road as soon as it is safe to do so. The safety of the community is remains the priority.
The pictures below show some of the recent work that has been carried out on the scheme. The first picture shows some excavations and preparatory activity as part of the work to install the new footbridge. The second one shows the recent on the southern footpath.
Highways England began a major project in May 2019 to improve Redbridge Roundabout and the M271, completing in Spring 2020. This work will complement other junction improvement work at junctions 5 and 7 to improve journey times, reduce congestion and support local and strategic economic growth.
- Addition of a free-flow lane from the M271 Southbound towards the port
- Improved shared paths
- Installation of a new better footbridge
- Removal of signals that give buses priority
- Widening of the roundabout
- Hundreds of shrubs and new trees on the roundabout
- Resurfacing to the roundabout with new ‘low-noise’ material
For more detail on this project visit the Highways England project page.
For any other enquiries you can email the Highway England Redbridge Roundabout project team.
Alternatively you can write to: M271 Redbridge Roundabout Scheme, Highways England, Bridge House, 1 Walnut Tree Close, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 4LZ.