The Portswood Broadway proposals look to introduce a bus gate along Portswood Road from Highfield Lane to Westridge Road (approximately 150 metres in length).
The bus gate would restrict general traffic from passing through the 150m of bus gated road, however general traffic will continue to have access to the Broadway area and any existing parking areas will be retained albeit via adjusted routes. The bus gate would still allow buses, cycles, taxis and other authorised vehicles to pass fully along the Broadway.
By restricting general traffic through the Broadway but still allowing access to car parking spaces, we will improve bus journey times and deliver economic, social and environmental benefits, supporting Southampton Pound Southampton Pound - Social Value and Community Wealth Building in Southampton locally, or as social value more widely, through:
- Creation of additional pedestrian space of over 550m2, equivalent of two tennis courts
- Attract more people to visit and spend at local businesses
- Installation of benches allowing elderly, disabled and families to sit and rest
- Two new zebra Crossings
- Improved disabled access
- Improved bus journey times and reliability
- Addition green space such as planters and trees
- Additional tables and chair for al fresco dining, with a potential for 50 tables and 100 seats
- Improvements to air quality
- Making junctions safer for people who choose to walk or cycle
The proposals would improve the junction of Portswood Road and Highfield Lane to provide better walking and cycling access, upgrade the junction to smart signals to reduce waiting time and further improve bus journey time and reliability.