A sustainable transport corridor in a key area of the city, re-imagined to focus on sustainable transport options and prioritising people walking and cycling.
- Support an increase in the number of people walking and cycling, and bus journeys within the wider city centre area
- Reduce the longer-term impact on climate change and air quality through increased use of sustainable transport
- Improve the health and wellbeing of residents, including deprived communities through improved access to the parks, cultural and high street quarters.
Benefits of the improvements:
- Improved bus journey times and bus journey time reliability along East Park Terrace bus route has services from Portswood TCF Corridor into the City Centre, providing buses with the necessary priority to access the bus hubs and City Centre bus stops
- Creates an enhanced pedestrian environment along East Park Terrace connecting Solent University with the City Centre. This connection is important in providing safer access for students walking and cycling to the site through the parks from other university locations and accommodation.
East Park Terrace will become bus/taxi and cycle only between Charlotte Place Roundabout and the New Road / Palmerston Road junction. The section will work in conjunction with the New Road Bus Connectivity scheme.
This will allow public realm improvements along this link creating a better and more enjoyable environment for people walking and cycling. It will also create better connectivity between the university, the parks and the City Centre.
Bus journey times and journey time reliability into and out of the City Centre from Portswood will be improved with the scheme encouraging sustainable transport.
Construction date: Summer 2023 to Spring 2024
Please note, CGI is a representation of how the scheme may look and is subject to change.