The bus hub will greatly enhance space adjacent to the historic city walls through the creation of an urban park at Castle Way car park, and a new bus interchange at Albion Place car park to increase the number of available bus stops. Together with the Portland Terrace bus gate this will significantly improve public transport access into and around the City Centre.
- Provide a high quality gateway in the form of a new interchange
- Increase the number of bus journeys into and through the City Centre
- Reduce the longer term impact on climate change and air quality through increased use of sustainable transport
- Improve the health and wellbeing of residents, including deprived communities through creation of a new urban park
- Provide opportunities to attract additional outdoor events within the new urban park
Benefits of the improvements
- New bus hub to include new waiting facilities, seating, travel information all using high quality public realm materials enhancing the old town heritage setting
- New urban park at Castle Way car park using high quality public realm materials, landscaping features and ambient lighting to enhance the public space and reflect the City’s rich heritage by strengthening the connection with the historic city walls
- Improvements to Shopmobility including additional spaces, longer spaces for rear ramped access and improved site access
- Improved bus access along Portland Terrace and enhanced pedestrian environment along the length of Portland Terrace bus gate.
The new Albion Place bus hub and adjacent park at Castle Way will create an exciting new space within the heart of the City Centre whilst helping to future proof bus operations to the west of the City Centre.
The scheme will increase the number of available bus stops while greatly improving public transport access into and around the City Centre.
Amenities at the interchange include:
- New waiting facilities
- Public seating
- Access to e-scooter hire
- Travel information
The scheme includes conversion of the Castle Way car park to an urban park. This will greatly enhance the public space reflecting the city’s rich heritage by strengthening the connection with the historic city walls.
Changes to Castle Way carriageway including new and improved crossings will improve access for pedestrians using the new interchange.