To help us shape our plans, in Autumn 2021 we ran a survey asking people who live, work and travel in the area for information on how they travel and what they might like to see from a Travel Hub in Woolston.
This received a total of 1,202 responses, with 76% of respondents from the SO19 area. The key findings from this survey are as follows:
- 2 in 5 people drive <30 miles a week
- People travel into the city centre less often than before COVID-19, but 49% still visit at least once a week
- The biggest blocker to using a Travel Hub would be an inconvenient location
- 59% of people believe a Travel Hub will enhance the local environment (16% disagree)
- Location preferences are split, but only 11% of people prefer none of the proposed options
- Of the proposed mobility options, people are most likely to use hire bicycles and least likely to use cargo bike parking
- Green space and public seating would encourage the most people to use a Travel Hub
- Of those who would use a Travel Hub, almost ¾ would prefer to pay hourly
- More than ¾ of people want to see more EV charging points on the network
In January and November 2023 Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) consultation was carried out for change in use of the car park, no waiting at any time restrictions in Garton Road across the subway entrance, conversion of various footways and footpaths to shared use, and advisory cycle lanes on Portsmouth Road.