- Where: SCN5 Eastern Quietway includes the area between Itchen Bridge roundabout and Miller’s Pond
- When: Survey to local residents July 2022
- What: Traffic calming and safety measures, pedestrian and cycling improvements including zebra crossings, buildouts, dropped kerbs and junction improvements
- Why: This route will form a section of Southampton Cycle Network (SCN) Route 5. It will also provide safer links to local schools and railway stations.
February 2024: Spring Road/Station Road
As part of the final phase of the Eastern Quietway, we will now be progressing to the works at the Spring Road/Station Road junction, which have been funded by the UK Government’s Transforming Cities Fund. The upcoming improvements include:
- Introduction of a raised table at the junction of Spring Road and Station Road, including a new red text-printed surface across the raised table, which will calm traffic.
- New parallel crossings for pedestrians and cyclists using the new shared-use footways at the north and south arms of the junction, as well as realignment of the current uncontrolled tactile crossings on the east and west arms.
- Footway resurfacing as well as general maintenance or replacement where appropriate on the tactile pavings, traffic signage and posts, gullies, bollards, and lighting.
- Resurfacing of the junction in the areas shown in the map below, as well as high-friction surfacing on the approach to the junction.
- New speed cushions between Miller’s Pond Gardens and Pinegrove Road.
This work is estimated to take place from Monday 26th February 2024, and will take approximately 8 weeks.
During this time the junction will be closed to create a safe space for our operatives, machinery, and pedestrians. During the works pedestrians will still be able to cross the junction using temporary crossings or barriered walkways. The diversion routes will be clearly signed, and can also be seen in advance on our Interactive Roadworks Map.
Working hours for all phases will be weekdays between 7:00am – 5:30pm, and the restrictions will be in place for the extent of the works. Please be aware we may work on Saturdays too when needed, in the interest of completing these works as quickly as possible.
|Restrictions in place during construction
|Monday 26th February 2024 for 8 weeks
Bluestar have confirmed that the No. 19 bus will follow a diversion via Portsmouth Road (past the Swan Inn) to Butts Road (next to St Mary Extra Cemetery) and then via South East Road to rejoin the regular route at Kathleen Road in the direction of Thornhill, and in reverse in the direction of the City Centre.
Following the completion of the improvements on Spring Road at the junction of Station Road, we will then be moving to Spring Road adjacent to Miller’s Pond to complete the final phase of works. Residents in the vicinity will be contacted prior to the works commencing with details of the working arrangements.
January 2024: Manor Road South/Portsmouth Road
As the second phase of the Eastern Quietway scheme, we are making improvements to the Manor Road South and Portsmouth Road junction, which have been funded by the UK Government’s Transforming Cities Fund. The upcoming improvements include:
- Full traffic light system upgrade to the crossing on Portsmouth Road near the roundabout leading to Itchen Bridge, as well as new tactile points and footway resurfacing. The crossing is being upgraded to a toucan crossing so it can be used by both pedestrians and cyclists and will add a safe route by bike between Manor Road South (via the service road and converted shared use pathway on both sides of the crossing) and Oak Road, which is on the National Cycle Network. The upgraded crossing will replace the existing columns which are nearing the end of their service lives, as well as add a new timer to indicate how long is left of the crossing period and crossing sensors to hold the lights on red longer if anyone in the process of crossing needs more time.
- Removal of the outdated guardrail seen on the southern footway of Portsmouth Road, adding new bollards and shared-use footpath signage in the area to improve access to Oak Road for people walking and wheeling.
- New and refreshed tactile paving as well as refreshed yellow road markings.
This work is programmed to take approximately 5 weeks, beginning Monday 22nd January 2024.
Please see the table below for the restrictions in place during construction.
|Restrictions in place during construction
|Monday 22nd January 2024 for 5 weeks
Later in 2024, there may be an opportunity for us to perform some surfacing works on Garton Road, however this has not been programmed as of yet.
The Manor Road South/Portsmouth Road junction in November 2023.
September 2023: Cranbury Road/Station Road Junction
The first scheme within Eastern Quietway has finished at the Cranbury Road/Station Road junction. We have installed a new zebra crossing on Station Road to improve pedestrian access to and from Sholing Rail Station, as well as a new pedestrian island at the junction of Cranbury Road and Station Road. The vehicle exit from Cranbury Road to Station Road has changed to left-turn only, which will improve safety and make it easier to cross Cranbury Road.
These works have now been completed and before and after photos can be seen on the Completed Improvements page.
The proposed scheme will deliver a range of traffic calming and safety measures, pedestrian and cycling improvements such as zebra crossings and dropped kerbs. This is a designated route between Miller’s Pond and the Itchen Bridge for people travelling by bike or on foot as an alternative to Portsmouth Road.
To view all of the proposed improvements, please see the map below. To download more detailed maps, please visit yourcityyoursay.southampton.gov.uk/eastern-quietway.
All of the measures featured in the consultation are now being progressed to detailed design stage. Feedback from the survey has been incorporated into the designs, and schemes will be further assessed for viability based on various factors including cost, utilities investigations and legal Traffic Regulation Order consultations.