- Where: Redbridge Roundabout and the M271
- When: COMPLETE
- What: Widening of the roundabout, fourth lane added on the southern side
- Why: Enhance journey times, provide facilities for walking and cycling and improve access to the Port of Southampton
Works on the M271 Redbridge Roundabout have been completed and the route is now fully open to all road users.
Together with our partners at Highways England, we have introduced new measures that will reduce congestion, increase road capacity and ultimately improve journey times.
We have also installed a new pedestrian footbridge created a better environment for road users and residents alike with new planting and acoustic fencing.
This is a key corridor for the city providing access to the port and its global trade. These works will enable future transport projects along the Totton to Southampton Corridor including the future Park and Ride and the Totton Rapid Bus service.
Highways England began a major project in May 2019 to improve Redbridge Roundabout and the M271, completing in Spring 2020. This work will complement other junction improvement work at junctions 5 and 7 to improve journey times, reduce congestion and support local and strategic economic growth.
- Addition of a free-flow lane from the M271 Southbound towards the port
- Improved shared paths
- Installation of a new better footbridge
- Removal of signals that give buses priority
- Widening of the roundabout
- Hundreds of shrubs and new trees on the roundabout
- Resurfacing to the roundabout with new ‘low-noise’ material
For more detail on this project visit the Highways England project page.
For any other enquiries you can email the Highway England Redbridge Roundabout project team.
Alternatively you can write to: M271 Redbridge Roundabout Scheme, Highways England, Bridge House, 1 Walnut Tree Close, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 4LZ.