- Where: St Mary's Road (between Onslow Road and Charlotte Place).
- When: Summer 2021 onwards.
- What: Transport and highways improvements to support Active Travel Zone
- Why: To create a greener and more sustainable area for everyone living, working or visiting the shops, sports centre, local amenities and the Royal South Hants Hospital.
Following feedback from residents and businesses which have been taken on board the council are formally proposing plans which you see details of below.
St Mary's Road forms part of the SCN6 corridor on the Southampton Cycle Network (SCN), which runs from the city centre to Portswood and Eastleigh. St Mary's Road forms a connection between Charlotte Place and The Avenue and Bevois Valley Road - both of which have recently been upgraded with new cycle facilities. The road also provides access to Royal South Hants (RSH), Solent University and the Newtown-Nicholstown area. (See the below map for more details).
The proposed scheme will improve crossing facilities, cycle access and parking, maintain wide traffic lanes and improve the traffic signal technology and design.
- To improve access for anyone living or working in the area, for customers visiting local shops and key workers travelling to the Royal South Hants.
- To provide a connection between the SCN5 cycle route on The Avenue, Royal South Hants, Solent University and the Bedford Place/Polygon Active Travel Zone.
Survey findings and how the design reflects feedback
You can see details from the survey of local residents and businesses on our FAQ page along with specific points made and how these have been considered as part of the proposed design.